"If you spend the majority of your days in the company of babies, toddlers, tweens or teens, then your happiness will be directly proportional to your ability to laugh often and enjoy the chaos. The child-rearing years, in particular, are meant to be hectic, playful, and fun!"
-Rachel Campos-Duffy

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Thank you Granny








Granny,

I want to take the time to thank you for always being there for all the milestones in my life.  From singing Christmas Carols at the farm, to Brandy Slush's for the holidays.  From my college hockey game in Winona to college graduation.  From my Wedding Day to traveling all the way to Appleton, WI for Braeden's birth and every moment and milestone in between, you were there.  You demonstrated that I mattered.

One of my fondest memories is the numerous times I sat on the floor in front of you as you stroked the curls of my hair.  This simple act always made me feel so much love.  Even now I can still feel your hands caressing my hair ever so gently.

Thank you for all the countless times you checked up on me when I was sick and even cleaned and did the dishes.  Thank you for putting up with my teenage attitude when we worked together pureeing bread at the nursing home. Thank you for staying with me after Preston was born and sweeping under all the furniture for me.  I am grateful for every big and small moment of life we have shared and done together.

And oh, the trips we were able to take!  We traveled to Pam's wedding in New Your where you were in charge of the pill bottle of quarters for the toll roads.  Your brought along a cooler of Jell-O so no one suffered from traveler's diarrhea.  And we wound up getting lost in Ohio only to find ourselves at the Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Years later we ventured to South Dakota.  We took in Mount Rushmore and Terry Redlin's Art Gallery in North Dakota.  Sarah & I still laugh at the fact that some boys in a hotel hot tub tried to pick us up on a vacation with our Grandparents!

And who could forget the biggest adventure of them all, 7 of us sandwiched for 24 hours in a Suburban bound for Boston, MA.  You uttering your famous quote of, "We really aren't stopping to stay!?"  We were positive Gramps was looking down from Heaven chuckling at what a motley crew we were.  Sandwiched in that SUV, among other things was a very pregnant lady, a potty chair for a little boy deathly afraid of public restrooms and the famous Jell-O to prevent any sort of GI disturbances.

On that trip, we experienced the Freedom Trail, Acadia National Park, Hinckley Yachts and a fresh lobster meal.  Brad was nearly arrested for videotaping at the Canadian Border and two imaginative three year old boys created a fictional story about Tiny Hono, Jimmy Balanos and a Giant Pea Pod.
The things we did and the places we saw are scrapbooked and forever etched on heart and in my memories.

In this journey called life, thank you for teaching me about showing up.  Teaching me to just be there for people and love them.  One of your greatest gifts is just showing up for us.  Showing up with no agenda in mind but to be in community with and love your people.  I know you, because you allowed me to know and love you.  It may be some of the best work you've ever done. And it's beautiful to behold.

And now as you are at the gateways of heaven, the idea that someday you won't be here to share in the adventures and milestones is unfathomable.  I don't know how to let you go.  But in the meantime and long after, I will go on loving you and this family.

One day you will find yourself on the other side.  God will meet you there and kiss away your tears. Your pain gone and your joy unspeakable! God will be waiting for you--can you imagine his face?!?!
Can you imagine his joy at seeing his beautiful daughter?!

Heaven is greater than anything I could ever imagine.  And while I don't want the world to go on without you, I do want this beautiful joy for you.  I want your paid to go away, your mind to be free of worry and anxiety and for you be joyfully reunited with Gramps! I'm certain it will be quite the commotion!

I imagine heaven will be full of deer and cardinals.  There will be lush fields tended to by a beautiful woman, her beauty will radiate from the inside like it did on Earth.  There will be many chairs to sit and watch the animals abound and rock great grandbabies that have gone before her.  Everyone will recognize each other without introduction.  There will be plenty of joy and laughter, hugs and rejoicing and no pain or suffering will remain. There will be family dinners, red purses and an endless supply of beautiful clothing.  Brandy and Beer will be offered up and there will be plenty of dancing and music.
           
                  The lame will leap like a deer, and those who cannot speak will sing for joy! Springs will                     gush forth in the Wilderness, and streams will water the wasteland." Isaiah 35:6

One day I will meet you in this place.  Our relationship will be more beautiful there than here on Earth.  One day I will sit with you in the presence of God and amidst the exquisite backdrop of Heaven--what a glorious day that will be!  For now I will treasure each and every moment I have had and will have with you, because I was here with you and I wanted you to know it was beautiful!  I love you Granny!

Love,
❤Heidi (Hooter)

No comments:

Background