"If you spend the majority of your days in the company of babies, toddlers, tweens or teens, then your happiness will be directly proportional to your ability to laugh often and enjoy the chaos. The child-rearing years, in particular, are meant to be hectic, playful, and fun!"
-Rachel Campos-Duffy

Sunday, August 06, 2017

The diagnosis

7/20/17

I answered the phone & it was my mom crying on the other end, "Granny didn't get good news," & she immediately passed the phone off to my Dad.  My gist of the conversation with him was that she was given 3 options:

1. Don't treat it & make her comfortable.
2. Don't treat it & have hospice come in.
3. Try an experimental drug. If she decides on this treatment, they believe the average life expectancy to be 2-3 months.  Additionally she will need 24/7 care.

I hung up the phone & just bawled my eyes out.  I sobbed trying to tell the kids the news.
But in that moment of deep disappoint, there came clarity.  I have struggled with "purpose" for a very long time. My babies are growing up & the natural question everyone asks is, "What will you do when all the kids are in school?" And in my head & heart I had absolutely no idea or even direction to go to answer that question.

I received a prophetic prayer a year ago whereby I was told that I was in a season of rest.  But in the moment of "the diagnosis" it became clear. My purpose is a caretaker.  A caretaker can & and will take many forms in each season of life.  This fall I will have mornings & 2 days each week that I can spend with My Granny.  God has known & designed this plan all along.

That evening I needed to go to the grocery store & didn't want to be alone.  I asked Brad to come with me.  Have you ever had a moment when your heart is hurting so badly & you have to venture out in public? It was one of those moments for me.  It was one of those times that I hoped I didn't run into anyone I knew, but also that in the eyes I strangers passing by I saw Jesus.  That somehow their eyes spoke to my heart of love, understanding & compassion.  Weird to understand, I know.

But in normal Traveling Circus fashion, Brad had to leave me at the grocery store to run a kid to a practice. In that moment of being completely alone, I found that much needed compassion & understanding in an acquaintance.  I found Jesus!

That night my soul longed to visit & talk with my beautiful friend, Jenny.  It had been too long since our last conversation & she is one of the most faith filled people I know.  She has an incredible way of describing with her words and scripture how God will be there in some of the hardest moments of our lives & how much he deeply loves us always.  She challenged me to find God every single day.  To find at least one time each day that God showed up.

Tomorrow morning I leave for a Mission Trip to Detroit with Junior High Kids form Trinity Lutheran Church.  I pray God will show up big time in the stories, the people, the service, the surroundings.  But mostly I pray that while I'm gone for an entire week that God wraps my Granny in Love & Peace & keeps her safe.

💕Heidi

No comments:

Background